Skip to main content

If you’re not in, you’re out

Literally speaking, this is what I feel when dealing with social media on the web.


Some days ago I had the chance to read a great post on how using twitter overweighs not doing so within a teaching context. More than that. I would say that should be applied to all sorts of social communication web tools and applications existing today: Diigo, Delicious, FeedReaders, Flickr, Youtube, Facebook, Wikis, Blogs and many others that I haven’t been able to try since I started into the ICT and web 2.0 world

Let me quote the best part of the post I mentioned in the paragraph above:

Because you’re not on Twitter, what you don’t realize is that Twitter is the back fence you share with your neighbors. Except your neighbors are people all over the world who share your interests and passions and can help you accomplish your personal and professional goals. Every day you have a chance to learn from these online neighbors. Every day you have a chance to receive resources that you otherwise never would have found. Every day you have a chance to intersect with people who care about what you care about and are willing to help you be more productive and save time. And much of it is banal or just friendly chatter, but much of it also is useful.
What’s that? You don’t want to be part of a community that shares your interests? You don’t have time to learn? You’d rather not receive helpful resources? Oh, okay. Good for you, I guess.
Why, again, dear educator, aren’t you on Twitter?

Right. I assume Twitter hasn’t been the only / unique source of info I picked up to social network, hence continue my professional development. However joining any social media site is thoroughly recommended. If you do not do so you’re definitely OUT.

Social networking is like attending a teacher development workshop everyday. It is sharing your expertise with people like you. And because “birds of a feather flock together” you notice there are professionals having the same probs / doubts / interests / challenges as you.

Social networks have definitely pulled down all sorts of barriers /frontiers. The one who affirms they have brought their users close to isolation must be looking at the situation from a different perspective.


In my real world, at least Social Networks have offered me the key to continuous exploration and research that I might have found impossible to do if they hadn’t emerged.

If I hadn’t been in Social Networks I wouldn’t have

1.discovered new ways to enhance language learning or

2.got the chance to work with lots of colleagues while exploring new web materials when they first exploited.
or

3. developed a new personal project regarding computer based testing for my students at English Studio or

4. been able to provide my students with updated news and resources to help them trained for international exams or

5. encouraged teen students to show how creative they can be and how far they can go with their L2 at an Elementary Level

Or

6. decided to produce a “Teacher Share” section on one of my blogs when I learnt how to edit videos and insert subtitles on them!

There are so many things I’ve done since I started networking!

Yes. To round off I cannot help quoting Scott McLeod on Big Think above.
You don’t want to be part of a community that shares your interests? You don’t have time to learn? You’d rather not receive helpful resources? Oh, okay. Good for you, I guess.
Why, again, dear educator, aren’t you Networking?


Why have you chosen to be out?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Video to practise the Present Simple with kids

Some of the bad aspects of teaching Grammar is when you feel your students find the practice activities really boring. I always say that sometimes students have to put up with boring grammar exercises. But they also have the right to see something different (and not so unattrative) from time to time. You can create a funny video to get them to do what you want them to practise: One thing I learnt while exploring the web is that you have to be on the alert all the time-you can discover extremely varied sites /tools / resources that will trigger further ideas. This happened to me when I came across this site and I tried it . Then you can always use sites like Classtools.net to create some activities. ( Process shots ) I once used the same video to get students to practise a harder exercise

Cursos de verano 2019

Clases destinadas a : 1. Adultos que deseen aprender inglés o mejorarlo y que durante el año no cuentan con el tiempo para hacerlo. 2. Adultos que busquen cursos cortos para refrescar el idioma porque planean un viaje o necesitan activar el idioma por potenciales cuestiones laboraleso académicas. 3. Adolescentes que necesiten trabajar más intensamente con inglés, para iniciar un ciclo lectivo 2019 sin problemas en ese área. LAS CLASES PARA NIÑOS SE IMPARTIRAN SOLAMENTE EN GRUPOS DE 4 ó 5 ALUMNOS CON EDADES Y CONOCIMIENTOS SIMILARES DESDE EL MES DE MARZO A NOVIEMBRE DE 2019 EN LA MODALIDAD DE CLASES REGULARES ANUALES. --------------------------------------------- DURACION DE LOS CURSOS DE VERANO: Los horarios y el tiempo de duración se podrán acordar al momento de tomarlos. SOLAMENTE SE TRABAJARA CON CLASES UNO A UNO (INDIVIDUALES, O SEA UN ALUMNO Y LA DOCENTE) o EN PARES (NO GRUPALES, O SEA DOCENTE Y SOLAMENTE DOS ALUMNOS), de allí la característica de clase...

Comics, one way to deal with students' writing skills

At Elementary levels students generally lack vocabulary to provide background and character descriptions for their stories. You may provide some hints but they will not be able to express exactly what they want. However the web offers some http://www.blogger.com/img/blank.gifinteresting tools that you can get students to exploit and enjoy. This is the case of Pixton . Pixton introduces the world to Click-n-Drag Comics™, a revolutionary new patent-pending technology that gives anyone the power to create amazing comics on the web.From fully posable characters to dynamic panels, props, and speech bubbles, every aspect of a comic can be controlled in an intuitive click-n-drag motion. Steps taken: 1. Students read a story from their coursebooks about a man killing a sheriff and putting the blame on his own brother (sounds like a tragedy, doesn't it?-but the case is presented along humorous lines...so it doesn't hurt that much) 2. An extension activity is presented...